"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." -Benjamin Franklin

Alma 26:30 "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."


Friday, August 2, 2013

AA : Realities in Island Life


I think that I expected too much from this place and time. In a way this island has been a breath of fresh air in my system. Giving me the moment that I needed to catch my breath. I was still expecting to have more of an ADVENTURE though, and the fact that I have not is a bit depressing.

Which brings me to a few things that I have learned since being here....

1: The adventure is in your outlook on things. I came to a fishing resort and not only have I not gone fishing even once - but I have no desire to go. So when the only activities I do involve me hiking two whole miles to a small waterfall, I must find my own adventures. 

2: No matter where I ever live - the night is still my favorite time of day. It is a universal truth in my little world of wandering.

3: Like attracts like. This is something that I really should have figured out by now but it has really taken this long to sink in I suppose. But to be surrounded by awesome people, you have to be awesome. You have to be the intelligent, well read, active person you want to have around you.

4: There is a reason for me to be in certain places and meeting certain people where ever I go. This truth has never been more poignantly expressed to me than here in this island in the middle of nowhere. To know that the choice to come here brought me to someone who has changed my life for the rest of my life. Even if the most unfortunate of happenings occurred and I was to never see this man again after he steps on the float plane back to California - I will still have experienced this summer with him and have had the conversations we have. Out of all the times that I listened to God, the universe, my gut- whatever you want to call it- I will be eternally grateful that I listened this time.

5: You can never assume anything about anyone. They will always surprise you. I have found here a melting pot of people that has surpassed the wide variety that I have met in my travels so far. I have my usual misfits and travels and then I have people who have tried and failed at life in some way and are now picking themselves back up. They surprise me on a daily basis and in their own way they show me that humanity is going in the general right direction. 

6: I really suck at guessing people's age. This is now a concrete truth for me and I will no longer even attempt to guess anymore.

My season her is almost over. I feel in this moment that even though I will most likely not be returning to this place as I had hoped in the beginning, I will never regret the coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment