"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." -Benjamin Franklin

Alma 26:30 "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."


Thursday, August 9, 2012

Love and Human Contact



Have you ever contemplated the need that we all have to be near other people? To know that there are others in this world that care for us. Now bear with me a second while I explain this random thought I had tonight. 

I am an insomniac. Well, maybe it would be more accurate to say that I am half night owl and half insomniac. As a result from this I find myself listening to late night talk radio on the good old AM radio. Hands down the most entertaining is the Coast to Coast show. It's conspiracy radio that mostly covers the topics of aliens, and time travel, and secrets to living forever, and government cover ups. The usual stuff that conspiracy theorists talk about I suppose. 

Tonight though, they had a woman on that has started a group?, community?, I am not really sure what to call it but the entire point is focused prayer/positive energy. It is call the White Light Express. I like how it works. They have all of these people that are apart of it. Someone will ask to be the focus of their prayers and/or positive thoughts (they refer to it as white light) for two weeks. From what I can tell most of the people that participate in this are strangers. They are from all walks of life, all different religions and non-religions, some do not even believe in any God at all. 

What I love about this is that it works. 

Now, I am a member of the LDS church myself. I believe with all my heart in a loving God that knows our individual plights and listens to our pleas. I also happen to believe in the power of positive thought. 

They are helping people go into remission from cancer. People are coming out of depression. they are having real results. Even if we take out the God factor. Think of that placebo effect. Say I am diagnosed with breast cancer. I am completely alone in life, but I hear about this group and so ask to be the focus. I then know that all of these complete strangers are out in the world thinking of the best possible outcome for me. I am worth it to this huge group of people. I know that I am loved and thought of and suddenly I am getting better.  

A similar thing was documented to happen in old orphanages. They noticed that the babies that were picked up and touched and loved did better and had a better chance of living than the babies that were ignored except for basic care. 

I just think it is really cool how if you think about it, if the world was turned upside down and for some reason there was no religion on this planet. We could still know that as human beings we are biologically better off if we love one and other and serve our brothers and sisters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment