"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." -Benjamin Franklin

Alma 26:30 "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."


Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Social Punk" By: Monica Leonelle


This book was interesting on many levels... first, was the way I came across it. More accurately, how it came upon me. The author sent it to me. She saw my blog and decided that I would be a good person to help get out the word. Frankly, I only read the thing because I thought it was cool that I was asked to do a review from a complete stranger. More accurately, I only STARTED reading the book because of that.

The second way it surprised me? It is actually good. I wasn't expecting it to be. I don't know why I had that going into it, maybe it is just because I was getting it from a self endorsed author with an e-book and not from my local Barnes&Nobel.

OH BOY WAS I WRONG

I would recommend this to teenagers and young adults. It lands somewhere in the range of urban sci-fi with a hint of teenage angst. Not a whole lot of the angst though (thank goodness).
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I read the entire book in one sitting. It is fast paced, and I was surprised more than once by her turns.

I bet you are wondering what it's about... I would say the short version is that it's about a girl in the future, who is living in a world that is not what it seems, and she is given the opportunity to save everyone in it. Somewhere between attracting every new boy she meets, trusting a few new people that are sketchy enough that while reading it I was shaking my head at her a few times, and finding out secrets that no one in her world could have imagined you see a young girl become a hero to herself and everyone that is now depending on her.

If you read my other reviews you know that I pretty much suck at the whole synopsis thing, so lucky for Ms. Leonelle I am choosing to include the one she has provided for those endorsers like me that are really not good at this part:

Ima would give anything to escape The Dome and learn what's beyond its barriers, but the Chicago government has kept all its citizens on lock down since the Scorched Years left most of the world a desert waste land. When a mysterious group of hooded figures enters the city unexpectedly, Ima uncovers a plot to destroy The Dome and is given the choice between escaping to a new, dangerous city or staying behind and fighting behind and fighting a battle she can never win.

I personally can not wait for the next book in the trilogy "Social Mob" to come out.


No comments:

Post a Comment