"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." -Benjamin Franklin

Alma 26:30 "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."


Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Wicked Appetite" Book Review




I get in these moods some days, usually at the beginning of a new season, when I just want to immerse myself in something of the season. Sometimes this can last just a few hours, a few days, or like Christmas - the entire season.

A few days ago I had one of these urges, this time for Halloween.

I am NOT into the holiday as much as a lot of my friends are. I like scary stories, and going to scary places. I like freaking other people out, and honestly I like getting freaked out.
I like the history behind the holiday, and the different ways that it has evolved over the centuries.

I could not care less about dressing up or going to huge parties. I will, but rarely take notice if i don't happen to make it to something like that.

When I felt like being Halloween-ish a few days ago I ended up at home with a new book (this one) three Halloween magazines, three books from the library about the pagan Halloween, and a DVD about the history.

Luckily, it took me a couple days to get to the book.

This book is not about Halloween - at all.

I have read a few of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, and this new series has the same kind of antics.

I loved it. They border on the outrageous. She is a baker, specialty in cupcakes (which by-the-way had me craving friggin cupcakes for like three days now. I shall probably go and make carrot cupcakes when I get home from work).

She gets stuck between two cousins who both have exceptional abilities, and both are using her to help them find some things they need.

They end up getting help from an aspiring witch (who isn't that great), a monkey (who acts more like a human than a monkey, but has the manners of a monkey), and a cat (who never gets a real name, has a glass eye, and may or may not really be a ninja).

I don't want to spoil it, so I won't reveal more than that. It is worth the buy though.
Evanovich definitely stands up to her already stellar literary reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment