"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -Emerson


"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about." -Benjamin Franklin

Alma 26:30 "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Trust and Dis-Trust... as it were
















"To be trusted is an even greater compliment than being loved" - George MacDonald

The world that I live in is a small one with a very exclusive membership. I of course must interact with MANY people on a daily basis, but I am unfortunately one of those people that does not trust easily. One must earn my trust to get it, and that is not done easily. There have been a few exceptions to this long standing rule, but they are rare.

Last night however I had a conversation with a man that I have had maybe five interactions with. In the course of this talk I actually wanted to ask him questions. As much as I like to ignore this aspect of myself, I really am pretty disinterested in most of the population on the "outside world". I wanted to hear his opinions on the things we were discussing. I wanted to laugh at his jokes, and learn about him as a person. When he left my house I stood there with a feeling of trust and safety. I feel like that is not a common feeling for people to leave me with and it caught me off guard.

I stood there staring at the contents of my fridge trying to dispel the feeling. It was not possible that this random guy had maybe think to myself "he is someone that I can trust completely".

Now before all of you start thinking that I am insane and paranoid with a crush, let me just tell you that that is just untrue. Well... I might be a little insane.

I am not tho only one who thinks this way though.

My paradigm has been challenged though. maybe I am coming up with all of these exceptions to my rule for a reason. I trust God so why would I not be able to trust my fellow man? Why is it that 99% of the people that I know and love have the exact opposite approach to the whole thing? They believe that trust is given freely only to be taken away when it is breached.

I can not say that anywhere in the near future I will be able to do that, but I suppose that it is a step in the right direction that I am thinking about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment